Herring’s House Park (Tualtwx), 4570 W. Marginal Way SW, Seattle, WA 98106

Owner: Seattle Parks & Recreation

Herring’s House is a 15.5 acre location was built in 1999 as a part of the Super Fund cleanup effort which covers the first 5 miles of the river basin. It was designed primarily as habitat for juvenile Chinook salmon with an intertidal estuary. The park features a picnic area, 3 viewpoints of the Duwamish River and the estuary and trails through the woodland which contains an abundant variety of native plants which buffer the surround the estuary.

Green Seattle Partnership & EarthCorps
The Duwamish was a bountiful estuary, a powerful meandering river with extensive tidal flats and wildlife, when pioneer John Pike officially bought the land from the U.S. government in 1860, soon after the Treaty of Point Elliott, 1855. Local shipyards built fishing boats for European immigrants until the resource diminished. Across the street from the the park is the Duwamish Tribe Cultural Center. The park is named after the Duwamish village Herrings House, which was actually located just south of Harbor Island.
The park provides walking paths throughout with several viewing points of the river, Kellogg Island and the last remaining remnant of the original river before it was channelized. It’s a favorite stop for cyclists along the Duwamish Trail.
  • Blue Heron
  • Osprey
  • Bald Eagles
  • Cormorants
  • Purple Martins
  • Salmon
  • Harbor Seals
Phil Renfrow, Seattle Parks and Recreation
Email: phil.renfrow@seattle.gov
Phone: (206) 423-1677

Green Seattle Partnership